Transitioning from Valentines Day in my last post, I felt like I’ve neglected one of the most loved UK holidays that is Pancake Day *Tues 9th February*! But these aren’t your regular run of the mill pancakes, these are my posh pancakes (namely because I finally have a Kitchenaid, & you can bet your bottom dollar I’m going to use it at every opportunity!)
Ah, the pancake, perfect with syrup, Nutella, strawberries or cream, it’s the ultimate in breakfast decadence. And I’m not talking about those imposters that are the crepes, this is the thick American pancake, fluffy and light and filled with chocolate buttons. Scroll down for the recipe.
- 3 large eggs and 1 yolk
- 120g plain flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 150ml milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 bag of Cadbury giant buttons
- Grab two bowls and separate the eggs, whites in one, yolks in the other
- Into the yolks add flour, baking powder, chocolate chips and milk and hand mix until smooth
- Pop the egg whites and the pinch of salt into your stand mixer and whisk until stiff peaks
- Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites and you're done with the batter
- Heat up a non stick pan with a knob of butter until melted
- Scoop some of your batter mixture into the pan and wait until the edges are firm and golden brown
- It's flipping time! Whatever your technique, turn that pancake and fry on the other side until both sides are golden
- Whatever topping you're feeling, pile them high and enjoy whilst hot. With the chocolate melt in the middle, I found strawberries, raspberries and whipped cream was perfect!
- With this recipe a lot can be substituted based on taste, I used skim milk but feel free to experiment, same with the chocolate buttons, take them out or use white or dark chocolate!