As I am writing this, I am tucked up in bed with a flat lemonade and a hot water bottle, desperate to not be sick again. For some reason it is always me, I have a really weak immune system that picks up sickness bugs and viruses like there is no tomorrow. This has resulted in the past 2 days me being sick off of work which I absolutely hate (I quite enjoy my job don’t you know!) At my last job – a popular clothing retailer – you was not allowed to be sick, you had to come in even if you spent the day with your head in the toilet (retail is hard) as you was just a number to them, so it is a weird feeling for me when everyone at my new place is only concerned with you getting better – they are a bit lovely 🙂
So this got me thinking about what happens when you admit defeat to the bug and start your road to recovery. I’ll just put it out there that I am in no means a doctor, but these are tried and tested ways that I feel help me when I am down in the dumps, and hopefully some of them might aid you as well.
1. Get in those PJ’s! You’re sick, you do not want to be wearing your most uncomfortable clothes, so crawl back into bed with some fresh jimmers and some water to keep you hydrated and just concentrate on being you again.
2. Flat Lemonade. This sounds like a bit of an odd one, but I swear this is one thing that really helps me when I don’t feel great, this has been passed down in my family for as long as I can remember so it could be complete rubbish, but it does work for me! I think it works on the principle that it gives you a little energy boost by replacing the sugars that are lost when you’re sick and it keeps you hydrated if you can no longer stomach water. Just get a bottle, shake it up, and release the lid slowly so it doesn’t fizz up everywhere. Do this a few times and you’re good to go!
3. It’s time to sleep. If you are anything like me, you haven’t slept. I think over the course of 2 days I have slept roughly 5 hours, which has left me Louis Vuitton sized keepalls under my eyes and a slight grey tinge – fantastic! And it just so happens that I can sleep through the day and not through the night, but I suppose that is just life! So don’t feel guilty about grabbing an extra few z’s during the day, because chances are you need them! I have also been using Olbas oil on my pillow case to clear my sinuses and help me sleep.
4. Preen Yourself. Now I know when you’re sick you just want to lay in bed, avoid all mirrors and mope (I know this because it is what I do all the time!) but you will feel so much better after you’ve run yourself a bath, done your hair and slapped on a bit of makeup, trust me it does make you feel better, and you don’t have to squirm every time you catch your reflection!
5. Relax. Above everything else you need to relax, do whatever you can to take your mind off the illness, write a blog post, watch a film, read a book … the list is endless! Just do something that will make you forget all about it.
So light a candle, lay in the bath and read your favourite book! You’ll feel better in no time.